Monday, October 12, 2009

Penny Pinching Party!


I got this from Kelsee over at Pumpkin Pie Crafts, who got it from Thirfty Home. I just like to think that I've been "pinching penny's" more these days. We make plenty, and I even get to stay at home, but I hate feeling broke at the end of each month, and then sit and wonder where all the money went?? I hate that! Here's what I've been trying to do to help....

1. Heat/AC. Honestly? We hardly ever touch the thermostat. In the summer I can't quite take it when my house is 85, I'll flip it on for about 20 minutes, then shut it off immediately. Or if I can't sleep cause it's so warm...then I give in. At night in the winter, we have a space heater for Cody's bedroom, and one for ours. I've heard that with all the electricity we are using with those, it would just be the same to run the gas, but I'd like to think we are saving some green.

2. Grocerie Shopping @ Walmart. I hate walmart, seriously, for one reason or another I always end up leaving there pissed. Some cashier or something will tick me off. But compared to Smith's, albertsons (unless they have a kill promo), and Macey's....they do have the cheapest stuff.

3. Coupons! I used KrazyCouponLady. I've been slacking lately, but I totally clip them...love it.

4. Eating out. This one is hard for me somedays. Kevin is much better at it. I will occassionally hit up taco bell for my favorite nacho cheese chalupa and a chicken soft taco for $3.21.....or subway for their $2.99 special of the day, but we hardly ever eat out anymore. When the bill comes to the table at almost $30.00 I have guilt trips for hours over how much I could have got in canned food at the store instead.

5. HATS FOR SALE! I've been selling beanies on the side, trying to bring in extra $$.

6. Banned from Joann's fabrics and only shopping at target monitered. This is no joke, I'm not allowed at these two places, and only target with supervision. That saves a lot.

7. Thrift store shopping/Clearance racks. I hardly EVER buy anything unless it's clearance, super sale, or second hand. I found an adorable top at target the other day $8, but found myself feeling guilty and put it back....

8. Stock up while you have the $$$. Last summer I knew that we would have a very very very cheap year. I knew money would be almost non existant. I stocked up on soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, hand soap, body lotion, shower gel, laundry soap's, dryer sheets, canned foods, deoderant, you name it, I found it on sale or as cheap as possible, and bought out the store, that way when we were outta toilet paper, I didn't have to fork out the cash for that, instead....a nacho cheese chalupa....

9. Tithing, paid in full, enough said.

10. Thirfty Crafts. This is something I do to fill the time. Kevin works A LOT, so I do little projects to fill my day with joy, and a pat on the back feeling. I try to keep them ultra cheap, or free. I get the itch to do something, I'll see what i have to work with here, and then go to town (for example: I took our bar stools today, and started giving them a makeover....we already have everything I needed :)

How are you pinching penny's?

2 comments:

Kelsee said...

Awesome! I love it. We have to all be thrifty now and knowledge is power. I love seeing what others do to save money. You rock!!!

Tiffany said...

love this too!